Cuprocover B503 is a grey granular refining and covering flux for use with copper based alloys.
Cuprocover B503 produces a fluid slag to dissolve and remove dirt and other impurities in the process of recovering metal from swarf, drosses and other residues.
Cuprocover B503 can be used with a range of non-ferrous alloys, including brass, gunmetal and tin bronzes.
It is important to maintain a complete cover over the molten metal to prevent oxidation during melting.
Cuprocover B503 can also be used as a wash-down flux to remove copper base residues from crucibles and furnace walls. When used in this way, the flux should be applied directly to the residue whilst the crucible or furnace is hot. The flux melts and soaks into the residue, softening it to allow easy scraping with a furnace tool.
Amount to Use:
1Kg to 2Kg per 100Kg of metal, depending on the quality of the scrap.
For furnace cleaning repeated use on affected areas as required until the walls are clean.
1. Form a heel of molten metal in the base of the crucible.
2. Pre-mix sawings, swarf, etc. with a quantity of Cuprocover B503.
3. Charge the metal/flux mixture and melt rapidly. As the mixture melts, add more metal until the crucible is fully charged.
4. Stir the flux thoroughly into the melt. Allow to stand for 2 - 3 minutes, scrape the top and sides of the crucible and remove the slag.
5. Where alloys require deoxidation, this can be done by the use of Cudox Tubes at the rate of one Cudox 42 per 50Kg of metal.
Health and Safety
Material Safety Data Sheet available