This course builds on the knowledge and experience learnt on Course 1.
Session 1 9.00am to 12.30pm
Lunch 12.30 to 1.30
Session 3 1.30 to 4.00pm (ish)
Course Content (For Sessions 1 & 2)
The course will cover demonstrations of the following allowing students to then use the techniques to make their own castings:
Participants will prepare and cast 2, two part split moulds with silica cores using greensand as a base.
· Greensand preparation and properties
· Tools and equipment
· Furnace manufacture, use and associated tools
· Properties of molten metals
· Safety equipment and safe working practices
· Pattern making 2 part
· Core box design and making
· Principles of 2 part moulds
· Core boxes 1 part, split and loose shim
· Core sand mix proportions, preparation and storage
· Silica sand Sodium silicate C0 2 solidification
· Use of mould coat blacking
· Ramming up the pattern in the flask
· Cutting runner, riser and gates
· Inserting cores and closing the flasks
· Lighting and charging the furnace, fluxing and degassing
· Procedures for pouring molten metal
· Knocking out the Flask
· Dressing the completed castings.
Handouts covering course content will be provided and students will also be able to purchase moulding items from our foundry store. If you require any products please let us know in advance so that we can ensure that they are ready for collection.
Tea /Coffee and a light lunch will be provided. (Please notify us of any special dietary requirements)
Clothing / Footwear
You will need to be appropriately dressed for a workshop environment. Natural fabric is best.
You should wear tough leather shoes or boots preferably with steel toe caps.
Feel free to bring note book, pencil, camera if you wish to document the day’s activities. A memory stick is useful to make copies of some larger documents.
We understand you are interested in further developing your casting skills so it may be useful to bring along drawings, photographs and or parts so that we can look at and discuss possible ways of pattern making and or casting from original parts.
N.B. We will not be able to cast these components on the day.